Tuesday, March 13, 2007

News and Notes


In a time when the NBA is in the background of the NCAA tournament, there are still many things taking place across the L. First off, today Knicks owner James Dolan extended Isiah Thomas' contract for multi- years. All I can say about that is this.. about time. It should be noted that I am NOT a Knicks fan, but Thomas has done a very solid job with a team that was expected to do nothing. He has used interesting schemes and rotations to keep them playing with energy. Mixing stars like Marbury and Curry with high energy guys like David Lee (who smashed on me in college) and Renaldo Balkman (I like him a lot). Thomas deserved to get the extension, and I hope they make the playoffs. On the opposite side of the fence: The Indiana Pacers, proud owners of an 8 game losing streak, droppping them a season high 4 games below .500. I don't understand why the Pacers insist on playing Jamaal Tinsley (who was recently suspended for excessive tardiness). I didn't like him at Iowa State, and I don't like his game now. Someone tell me one POSITIVE thing he has done during his tenure in Indiana... the silence says it all. I am a Rick Carlisle fan (member of the greatest NBA team ever, '86 C's) and he does have Bird's and Walsh's support, but how much longer can he hold on? When your All-Star center has stopped listening and losing productivity, and you just traded for Mike Duneleavy thinking he can help, maybe a change at the top can be good. And if Carlisle stays, I would be willing to bet that Tinsley doesn't, too bad, go play at the Rucker. On the same side of poor as the pacers, would be the struggling Orlando Magic, who started the season at 14-5. With every loss the pressure continues to mount on Brian Hill, and it's probably just a matter of time before the axe comes down. I do like the Magic, but there run at the end of last season put a lot of high expectations on them for this season, and they haven't lived up to them yet. My personal opionion is that they're a player away from being contenders in the East. So don't be surprised when this summer comes and they move classy Grant Hill's expiring contract and make a strong pitch to Vince Carter, who lives nearby in the off-season. Rashard Lewis will also be available and could demand some attention.

Interesting note: Icelandic league playoffs start next week!! Currently holding down a tie for first and home court, final two games this week to decide homecourt...

No comments: